Friday, April 3, 2009

I Wish I Wouldn't Have Heard It

As a mother, I am so proud of my children. They work hard to do good in school, they love each other, they want to be a part of our family, they are good kids. You can't make me happier than to brag on my children.

I was standing close to someone recently who made a negative comment about one of my children. It tore my soul! My first reaction was to jump all over this person. Thankfully I was stunned, so it took me a few seconds to gather my feelings and emotions. Once I had gotten over the shock, I simply walked away.

It really hurt, more than I can describe. I love this person and I don't understand why they said what they did. It had nothing to do with the matter at hand. I hope that they have taken the opportunity to really get to know my child. What makes them happy, what hurts their feelings, what struggles do they have, what successes have they had, what are their interest? I pray the comment was not made from a few encounters or one bad experience.

It did teach me to silence my words when they are not necessary. To keep my mouth shut in public, and most of all make sure I understand the person before I decide if I like them or not. I don't ever want another mother to say "I wish I wouldn't have heard it."

6 comments:

  1. I don't understand some people!! I don't know your kids, but I know that you and your husband are very nice people, so you must have very nice kids!!

    I've said this before, but I'm very thankful that you have my Erick!! I know that you know he is a good kid, despite the fact that he can be a little toot sometimes!!

    You never know what kinds of things kids are going through at home and I think everyone who works with kids should give them a chance before they label them as trouble makers or someone who they think won't be successful. These kids need understanding and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are not perfect and have their own issues. But, the point I wanted to get across was tolerance. Not everyone is alike or handles situations the same. That is ok! Accept people for who they are and not who you want them to be!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really know you kids, but love you and am sorry that you heard something that caused pain in your heart. We are all our kids cheerleaders, and should be, and it is just so hard to understand why the rest of the world doesn't get up and cheer with us. (Those idiots!) Someone once said something about my daughter, to me, that was hateful, and well, they are just a jerk and I didn't care for them anyway, but still.... We should all just say something nice, or not say anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all just do the best that we can, and it is hard to remember that we are all human and can make some big mistakes. I often get myself in a bind from my big mouth. I also know how it feels awful when you hear something about your husband, business, or family. That has got to be the hardest part of living in a town that you grew up in, and having your own business. People say things that can not only hurt feelings, but also reputations. If I hear something about us now - I consider the source, and have even picked up the phone or visited them. There are always three sides to a story - his, hers, and the truth. God knows the truth, and he loves us, and even the big mouths no matter what!! Hang in there and love one another. I love your kids and I know you love mine. :) TUJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your children are wonderful. I love to watch them when I am around them. They amaze me with their creativity and genius minds. Yes, they are geniuses. I am sorry that person said what he/she said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep thinking that I'll share some words of wisdom to make you feel better but I don't have any. Maybe if I had perfect kids I could tell you something but my kids are far from perfect just as I am far from perfect. It makes me feel so sad that someone would say that about your kids. Just keep on loving them just they way they are!!!

    ReplyDelete