Most of the time I focus on all the negative happening around me. Too many times I have to complain about the small things. Today, I had parent conferences and at each one I learned something new about myself. As a teacher, I tend to go through the regular routine of report cards, TAKS results, work examples, etc... Then a single mom comes in with just few minutes because she had to leave work to be there, she needs someone to listen, someone to tell her she is doing the best she can, tell her that we are supporting her with any means we can. Couples come together because they are interested in their child's progress and want to learn something that will help. A selfless grandmother comes in and needs to cry on a shoulder because a court order is sending the kids back to mom. After it is all said and done "the routine" is so irrelevant to them.
I really didn't have time for Guthri's conference, so I quickly ran to her teacher, signed in and picked up her report card. As I went running back to my room for one last conference it hit me...all we had to worry about was "the routine". What a blessing. I have a wonderful husband that supports our family, children that only need moderate scholastic help or an occasional reminder of who they are and what our family stands for, and most of all we are together. Nothing separates us, no troubles hang over our heads that will jeopardize our relationship, we are a family with NO true troubles. I know it is only by the grace of God!
Take the time to love those around you!
September 2026 - Card Swap
3 weeks ago

Wow! I needed to hear that! Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteWhat a thought provoking post. I totally forgot when I signed up for C's conf., so her teacher came to me. I know what you mean, sometimes you never know what is going to happen when a parent walks in your door.
ReplyDeleteSometimes as teachers we push (because sometimes that is what it takes) and we have no idea what is going on in their lives. It affects every aspect of their learning. W need to take the time to get to know our students inside and out!
ReplyDelete