Saturday, December 5, 2009

Scrooge?

Christmas has always been my favorite time of year. I have decorated my house like it was a Christmas store. I have baked bread, made cookies, and made candy, until the house reeked of flour, baking soda, and sugary syrup. I have stayed up till all hours of the night wrapping presents that I have so diligently planned for and purchased early in anticipation of the holiday. I have blown fuses with outdoor Christmas lights. I have sent Christmas cards the Friday after Thanksgiving to people we have not seen in over 20 years and don't even know if they are still alive, but it was the season. I was Christmas to all it is made up to be.

This year? Not so much! I could have cared less if the tree got put up and cared even less what it looked like. Thank goodness Lonnie got it all out and Guthri was in the mood to do it all. Lonnie did help her a little but she did about 90% of it. I felt guilty sitting there watching her but not enough to get me up to help. I cringe when I think of baking or making candy. Can't even make myself buy the stuff to make it. Have only bought ONE present. Not sure when I will get the others bought and have no desire to make the effort. Not sure how I will get it done. Christmas cards will be nonexitance this year. I have not even decorated my classroom and not sure if I will! Poor kids!

What is wrong with me? I know part of it is money and things are so expensive this year. My kids have made a list worth a million bucks and part of me feels guilty for not being able to afford their slightest whim. But, we have had tough times before and I just did the best I could and the kids were as happy as could be.... Part of it is that we have been so busy that the Christmas mood has not been able to "set in". There is no time to enjoy the "magic".... Part of it is the competition between kids on who gets the biggest or the most. It drives me crazy to listen to kids tell what they got for Christmas when I know their families are in line for every hand-out in the state.... Part of it is scheduling families so that everyone is happy and no one feels left out or put out. We travel to Brownwood and Fredericksburg, so it over 800 miles and about $300 in gas and expenses. The kids get restless and seem to fight non-stop all the way there and all they way home. Stressful trip!....Part of it is I am tired! Lonnie has been gone so much the last few months, along with numerous meetings and activities in town. He has been MIA for almost three months. So, begging for more family time is just a sore subject these days.

I have never thought of myself as a scrooge but this year I think I fit the mold pretty well. I am not sure how the holiday season will end out but I hope I get a swift kick in the rear-end and it straightens me out. Try to have a great Christmas despite my SCROOGENESS!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I too know how hard the holidays are. We travel all over the state of Texas to see 4 sets of grandparents. It is crazy. Why do we travel? I feel that if the grandparents can, they should travel to see us. They do not have kids that fight, they do not have to stop every thirty minutes to pee or get food. They do not have the extra expenses because they do not have little kids in the car begging for everything they see. Maybe you should have Christmas at your house, but do not do it all up. Just have a simple meal and learn to enjoy the holidays by being appreciative of what you have. This will be a great lesson for the kids as well. Just a suggestion.

    Love ya.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete