Lonnie and I have both chosen professions that calls for us to serve others. Most jobs have some service involved but ours seem to be consumed with doing for someone else. I'll admit there are days I absolutely despise having to help someone else when I need help myself. I become bitter and resentful because everyone wants something. All times of the year are busy for us, there is no down time.Yesterday, we were unloading drinks from the back of Lonnie's pickup for the upcoming concession stand. It was hot, I was sweating, Guthri was fast asleep in the back seat of a hot truck, and those silly cases were heavy. I felt myself getting hotter and hotter. Not physically, but mentally. I looked over and there was a 4-Her and his mom sitting at the stop light looking our direction. All I could think was "Well, don't just stare. Come help!" When they drove off I was fuming.
I started to say something when I looked at Lonnie and sweat was rolling off his face. He just kept picking up one case right after the other. He never said a negative word. He never grunted, even though he has a hurt shoulder. He just did his job because that is what he is supposed to do. Some times I hate it when he is right!
I had to take a step back and rethink my feelings. Why was it any less my job to unload those drinks than anyone else? Had we called anyone for help? Did that 4-Her and his mother have somewhere they had to be? Maybe my SERVICE ATTITUDE is not what it is supposed to be.
Jesus set the example of a life of service. He never complained, he never cared that he sweated, he just did what God wanted him to do. We are commanded to serve others. Whether it is volunteering or our job we are to live a life of service.

I needed that reminder - thanks and yes I was talking about you when I mentioned family today..... Luv ya. TUJ
ReplyDeleteI hear ya. Sometimes I need a change of my attitude also. Remember that God is always watching what we do and we answer to him, no one else.
ReplyDelete