Thursday, June 18, 2009

Organization

Years ago, I considered myself one of the most organized people I knew. EVERYTHING had a place and if it was out of place, I was completely messed up. Closets were neat and cleaned out regularly, dishes and silver were stacked according to size and use, clothes were hung in the closet according to season, color, and purpose. Poor Garrett had to have his toys in a certain location IN the toy box. He would dump everything out and I would spend hours putting it back in the perfect way so it would all fit. I desperately tried to teach him to do the same but a slob he was and a slob he will be FOREVER! I was completely anal!!

Now, I can't find my nose. My house is just piles of papers that I don't know what to do with, items that don't have a regular purpose are just laid wherever they fell, discarded furniture is thrown in the barn...I have just let it all go. I am not sure why or when it all started but it still drives me crazy. I would say daily I am saying "we need to get organized". Then, I just sit there in pure confusion about what to do with it all. We need storage so badly but can't seem to find exactly what I want, if I even know what I need!

It seems when my "physical" life is unorganized so is the rest of my life. We have five calendars that we post appointments, commitments, etc...but I still forget appointments or obligations. EVERY day I have to search high and low for Guthri's shoes, shampoo and hairbrush. It is EVERY day! Why can't I just put them where I know I will find them?

We have coat hooks and shelves by both doors but they are loaded with anything but caps, jackets and bags. Right now there are shopping bags hanging from the hooks by the back door so there is no place to put my purse. So...it is sitting on the dining table. The computer blew up a couple of weeks ago so the hard drive is sitting by the front door waiting to be discarded. It is like I want to get rid of it because it is ruined and cannot be fixed but then I think "all my records, pictures, documents all lost. I want them back." so I can't get rid of it. The basement is like a rummage sale. Things are thrown everywhere. Our laundry room is in the basement so it is a challenge to get to the dryer!

I truly believe I need to hire a professional organizer and just let them organize my house so I can have an organized life again. Maybe then, I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed with all the stuff and actually be able to be productive. I have been looking on-line for suggestions and can't seem to find anything that would fit our house or our life style. I am not giving up though. Some day organization will be back in my life!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am a horrible organizer. But, it is not all my fault. I can organize something and have a place for everything, but my family does not put things where they go. Billy claims that he has no clue where things go. All I want to ask him is, 'Where did you get it?' - 'That is where it goes.' However, he has no clue where he got it from because he does not pay attention. So, the house stays unorganized. Anyway, I commented to tell you a lesson I learned about a year ago: It does not take that long to get something done. In all reality, it only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to do the dishes, 5 minutes to start a load of laundry, 10 minutes to fold and put up a load of laundry, 10 minutes to vaccuum the floor. My point? Although life seems unorganized and you do not know where to start, just pick a pile and think - It will only take about 10 minutes to organize this pile. So just do it and get it over with. I am not critizing you, just sharing what has helped me since I have two kids to clean up after as well as a husband.

    Love ya and good luck.

    ReplyDelete